Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mad Monster Cartoons

Today's Monster Memories are of:
Those "Mad" Monsters
(click on images to view full size.)

When younger, I was always on the lookout for magazines of any kind that contained items of interest. No, I didn't have tunnel-vision toward the monster mag section only; I knew that often other kinds of publications would occasionally feature those things I loved; monsters, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, etc. I would also scan over the teen magazines; movie star mags, tabloids, and the comic satire mags like "Crazy," "Cracked" and of course, the first and best, "Mad."

"Mad" very often lampooned the movies and TV shows I liked, and I have quite a few issues from the early 70's that spoofed my favorites. The earliest I have is one from 1965 that did a terrific take-off on "Lost In Space." Among many others there were a lot of monster comics and gags. Here are a few "Mad" monster laughs for you, and more will be coming in the future! As Criswell says so eloquently; "Remember... future events such as these will affect you... in the future."




Check out the recent posts on a couple of my other blogs: on "My Star Trek Scrapbook" get a good look at some 33-year-old newspaper articles on the then-young fan phenomenon; and on "Held Over!" take a peek at the original TV Guide ads for the legendarily-bad "Star Wars Holiday Special."

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Mad was a great mag back in the day- now days it is nowhere near as good. I always loved Don Martin's work, I was seriously bummed out when he passed away. Another of my favorite artists is Sergio Aragones, I was lucky enough to meet him at Comic-Con a few years ago, super talented artist and a really nice guy!

Birdzilla said...

There will never ever be another DON MARTIN and ANTIONIO PROBIAS