Tuesday, September 23, 2008

1986 Time "Aliens" article

Today's Monster Memories are of:
The July 1986 Time article on "Aliens"
(Click on images to view full size.)

In the summer of 1986, a new kind of big-budget sci-fi/horror/action film was unleashed upon an unsuspecting public. "Aliens" amped up the budget, scope and action in a sequel that many feel surpassed the original. In the day when most sequels were of a lesser budget each time, "Aliens" increased it and it showed. Here is the complete article that I saved from Time magazine on the movie that would blow so many horror fans away.





Below is the "Mad" magazine cover of the issue that lampooned the movie, depicting a truly horrifying scene!

5 comments:

CRwM said...

The Army joins the drug war.

That ought to do it. Those drugs don't stand a chance.

Mr. Karswell said...

The very first issue of MAD I got with my very own first ever mag subscription contained the parody of the original ALIEN film... but I believe the first issue I ever actually bought with my own money was the one with the Star Wars spoof. Before then though I was already hooked on the MAD reprint paperbacks I stole from my uncle's bookshelf.

Frederick said...

Karswell,

I have that Alien spoof issue as well! Probably post it sometime.

The earliest issue I have is from 1965 and has a Lost In Space spoof, it's awesome.

Although I loved the mag, I only bought issues that had stuff in it I was interested in. So they are mostly genre-oriented.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the Time article. Just watched the extended addition and remembered reading the cover story back in high school. Still one of my favorite theatre moments ever - it was mind blowing on a three-story tall screen! Thanks for the blast from the past-

Billy

Unknown said...

I want to know how many movies have enjoyed the privilege of being the cover of Time magazine?