Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Monsters Unleashed " #4 Wolfman story

Marvel monster magazines were always high on my list of "must buys" whenever and wherever I found them, and they comprise a big part of my monster magazine collection. This time I'm bringing out of the collection cabinet issue #4 of "Monsters Unleashed," published in February, 1974. I was 15 when I bought it, and I remember reading it in the back seat of the car as my mother drove us and my Grandma over to visit a relative.

Since there is a new "Wolfman" remake in the theaters right now (which I haven't seen yet, and will probably wait to get when it comes out on DVD), I thought I'd post this werewolf story to coincide. More of a detective story than a horror tale, with an attempt at the "noir" style (even to the heroine dresing in a trenchcoat and fedora), the hairy one only appears in the end.

(Click on images to enlarge.)



















And, the werewolf is killed, as usual, by one that loves him. As a followup there was a one-page article in memory of the greatest werewolf actor, Lon Chaney, Jr.


3 comments:

Greg said...

The new Wolfman movie is actually pretty good. It does not suffer from the typical remake modernization crap that films like VanHelsing have. Instead it really does well at achieving a more gothic/Universal feel. I was looking forward to reading your take on it.

Frederick said...

Greg,

Thanks for commenting and letting me know what you thought about it! I am over an hour away from a theater and that has more to do with waiting to see it when it comes out on DVD than anything else. But as soon as I do, I'll mention it on the blog!

Jay said...

I'm with Greg - I enjoyed the movie too and appreciated the somewhat retro feel it had. I also liked that it was a movie about people and not just action set pieces, and that the cast didn't look like rejects from an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog shoot.
I think you'll enjoy it.