Thursday, June 11, 2015

Farewell to a Horror Icon! Christopher Lee Passes.

Sad, sad news today, although it took nearly 4 days for it to reach us over here in the U.S., that Christopher Lee passed away at 93 on Sunday, June 7th. Here is a link to an article with more details.


For me personally, Lee was one of those actors who completely dominated any scene he was in. His regal bearing, his intensity of gaze, his expressive hands and fingers, and most of all that incredible voice, all worked together to make his every appearance riveting, even when he was still. And when he burst into action, it was electrifying, and often terrifying!

My first real memory of Lee was in his most famous role of Dracula, when I was about 11. The middle school I was attending used to show films in the auditorium on certain days, for an admission of 10 cents. The first one I attended was "Dracula Has Risen From the Grave," (which is still my favorite to this day), and what an impression it made on me! Of course, I had seen pictures of  Lee in monster magazines like FM, but seeing him on the big screen was a new experience and I was a lifelong fan.

In memoriam of the greatest horror actor who ever lived (who hated being known as such, but really did his best work there), who showed his class, talent and greatness in many ways and roles, here is a link to all the posts on this blog about him and his films. We will miss you, Sir Lee, and will always remember you!

3 comments:

quatermass said...

My childhood love of films that is still strong to this day was formed by Sir Lee. The Golden Age Of Horror has ended today.

Paul B said...

It’s hard to believe that it’s been a little over a year since the passing of the last of the great horror icons of my youth. Growing up, Bela Lugosi was the one and only Count Dracula. His photos and likeness was on the covers and on the pages of FMoF and countless other monster mags of the early 1960s. Although I had seen Mr. Lee’s pictures in various publications, I figured he was just one of many actors who played the part of the infamous Count. Nobody could replace the great Lugosi. One Saturday in 1966, a new Dracula movie was playing at the local theater in a double feature. I was 13 at the time. The double feature was Plague of the Zombies and Dracula: Prince of Darkness. Never had I seen so much blood as when the servant slashes a man’s throat, causing buckets of the thick red stuff to flow over Dracula’s ashes and bring him back to life. Never had Count Dracula been more evil and terrifying. That night I became a Hammer movie fan and a Christopher Lee fan at the same time. While I am sad that he is gone, he has appeared in so many TV shows and movies that he will always be alive through the hundreds of performances in which he’s appeared on film. Like Dracula, he will live forever.

Unknown said...

I love all of Christopher lee and Peter Cushing films, I have a big admiration for them, i have never met them. Some folks like the media write harsh things about Christopher and Peter in which upsets me greatly has Peter and Christopher worked hard, i think they made Hammer productions rich because if these gentlemen didn't work for them Hammer company wouldn't be well known, i miss them but i have happy fond memories of them in which i will treasure in my throughts and heart. R I P Peter and Christopher until we meet in God's kingdom.