Wednesday, August 20, 2008

1980 Fangoria "Zombie" article

Today's Monster Memories are of:
Oct. 1980 Fangoria "Zombie" article

It's always fun for me to go back and read articles on films that came out when they were new. And finding more information on Fulci's "Zombie," now considered to be a classic in the Living Dead genre, is always interesting. So here is a scan of the article in the issue #8 with some behind-the-scenes pics you will enjoy seeing!

I apologise for the condition of the magazine cover and article, I bought this as a used copy from a comic book store about 15 years ago. It looks like the previous owner spilled something on it. This is a hard-to-find issue, and can go for $50, but in this condition I wouldn't get too much for it if I was of a mind to sell it.





Soon, I'll be opening the crypt vault and bringing out a Famous Monsters article on the same movie! Oh, and please, if you read this, leave a comment and tell me what you think of the newly-resurrected Monster Memories blog!

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Fred- Keep this stuff coming! I LOVE reading about your monster experiences, and wow- your collection is awesome! I will have to send you some pics of my Star Wars and Monster collections sometime- I can't believe how many DVDs you have, wish I had enough time to watch all of those!! Anyway, keep it going, this is great!

Frederick said...

Patrick,

Thanks for visiting, and for the kind comments!

Why not post some images on the side of your page like I did? People enjoy seeing those things, I think. The more personal stuff you share, the more people make a connection with you.

Otherwise, the posts would just be about stuff. As cool as it is, the stuff means something to people, and they enjoy knowing what it means to others.

So, glad you like the personal recollections! I got a million of 'em. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Fred - Yet another great piece.
Although I'm the proud owner of a complete collection of Fango ( I began buying & collecting it back with issue #1 in '79 ), it's probably been years since I went through & looked at individual issues.
Anyhow, this particular issue with the ZOMBIE cover was brought to me, along with a copy of the -then brand new- FIRESTARTER hardcover, by my Mom ( who passed away in '99 ) while I was sick in the hospital during that weekend of July 1980. So, as you can imagine, it brought back some big time memories for me. Thanks.

Keep it coming. Peace.
- Jim

Frederick said...

Jim,

That's what it's really all about isn't it? So many of the books, magazines and comics I have, I can tell you where I bought them, where I lived (no small feat considering how often my parents moved) and what was happening around my reading of it. So when I take them out now, the memories are invoked by reading it again, above and beyond the text itself.

It's the feelings of nostalgia that they bring out that makes them so special.

So yeah, I can relate to your memory of the gift reminding you of the giver!

Gordon terry said...

FRED . . . My Dad bought me Fangoria # 8 at Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors #1 on May 4, 1985 (my 14th birthday. I have every Fango from 1 - 100 and that was enough for me. I used to buy it off and on since then. Nothing will every be like THE GOLDEN AGE OF SPLATTER 1978-1988.

VINCENT- CASTRO said...

A COVER CLASSIC!! SALUDOS FROM ARGENTINA A KEEP THE BLOG. I WISH YOU PASS BY MY BLOG THIS 2011.GOOD LINKS!!